Sunday, 1 July 2007

How to Make a Lemon Tart

This is one of my favourite recipes and I make it often when I have lemons on my lemon tree. I like it because you don't have to pre-cook the filling, you just whisk it up and pour it in! As it requires lemon zest (finely grated lemon peel), you need to use lemons with clean and preferably unwaxed skin.
Lemon Tart

1 quantity shortcrust pastry
3 large lemons
6 eggs
250g castor sugar
pure icing (confectioner's) sugar
200 ml cream

Line a 24 cm loose-bottomed deep flan tin with pastry, then bake blind at 200 degrees C for 20 minutes. Reset oven to 160 degrees C.

Zest and juice lemons. Combine eggs and sugar until well amalgamated, then add zest and juice and stir well. Add cream and mix well using a balloon whisk. Pour into just-baked pastry case and bake for 35-45 minutes until almost set. Cool in tin for at least 30 minutes before serving. Serve dusted with icing sugar and with thick cream.

From Stephanie Alexander, The Cook's Companion, 1996.

For the pastry, use any shortcrust or biscuit pastry recipe. Refrigerate for 20 minutes before rolling out. I use a ceramic quiche dish to make this tart, so I always put it on a dark oven tray; it helps to crisp to bottom of the pastry. You could also use pre-made shortcrust pastry sheets. (Don't tell Stephanie Alexander I said that!)

To bake blind, line the uncooked pastry shell with baking paper or foil and cover this with dried beans or chickpeas to weigh it down. Bake then remove the paper/foil and beans, storing the beans for next time.

200 C = 390-400 F
160 C = 320 F
If you have a fan-forced oven you may need to reduce these temperatures slightly.

The chicken and leek cobbler recipe will appear soon. Stay posted!
image from allposters.com

3 comments:

Laurie Anne said...

This sounds so yummy I can't wait to try it. I wish I lived somewhere I could have a lemon tree, you are so lucky!! :0)

joey said...

I love this recipe, but now make a biscuit base with ANZAC biscuits instead which is delish. You need to use about a quarter less butter though when you use ANZACs.

joey said...

I love this recipe, but now make a biscuit base with ANZAC biscuits instead which is delish. You need to use about a quarter less butter though when you use ANZACs.