Saturday, 21 July 2007

An Unusually Quiet House

Our house has been strangely and unusually silent nearly all day. The three eldest children are immersed in the latest Harry Potter book and have been reading quietly, only emerging from their chosen corners to ask, "Where are you up to?" or "What do you think about ...?"

Whatever the critics say about the quality of the Harry Potter series, it has done more to encourage young children to attempt big, thick books than any other. My eight year old read The Lord of the Rings trilogy a couple of months ago and enjoyed it, and I think much of his reading confidence comes from having read and re-read the Harry Potter books. I am looking forward to the opportunity to read The Deathly Hallows myself. For years I have been a huge Severus Snape fan and am convinced that he will redeem himself. I have argued this at length at parties, hockey games, any occasion really -- yes, I know, truly tragic -- so I have a lot at stake. I will be bitterly disappointed if he proves to be as evil as he seems.

This afternoon I snuck out to the quilt shop whilst my husband was having a nap with our littlest boy and the other kids were absorbed in their books. I chose batting for my quilt, and this gorgeous paisley Liberty fabric for the back. The binding will be the striped fabric I used for the inner border. I bought my first quilting thread (LOVE that it comes on an old-fashioned wooden reel), and my very first, golden thimble.

5 comments:

Jenny said...

I love the fabrid. It is to die for!

Anonymous said...

Incredibly luscious! You have a gift for matching patterns and colors. Please post when you've finished it- I'll look forward to seeing it.

...Marie

Laurie Anne said...

Can't wait to see the finished quilt. I have always wanted to quilt, but I don't have the paitence :0)

Jen said...

My children are missing their mom as I have emersed myself in the latest in the Harry Potter series as well. I purchased it on our drive home from the shore last night.... I love the fabric you have chosen for your quilt. Can't wait to see it all finished!

phoeberae said...

You're doing a great job Kate, this quilt is going to be amazing. Liberty, how luxurious. A great colour and pattern choice!