Wednesday, 24 October 2007

Homemade Chocolate Syrup

This morning I made a double batch of chocolate syrup. This recipe comes from The Complete Tightwad Gazette by Amy Dacyczyn and is a family favourite at our red house.

The syrup is quick, easy and economical to make. Even better, it has no additives, preservatives or thickeners so you know exactly what you and your children are drinking. It is delicious in milkshakes, in chocolate milk, on ice cream, and even as a base for hot chocolate or cocoa -- though it is stronger-tasting than commercial chocolate topping so quantities may need to be adjusted. As there are no perishable ingredients it will last indefinitely in a sealed jar or bottle.

Chocolate Syrup

1/2 C cocoa
1 C water
2 C sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 tsp vanilla

Mix the cocoa and water in a saucepan. Heat and stir to dissolve the cocoa. Add the sugar and stir to dissolve. Boil 3 minutes. Add salt and vanilla. Pour into a sterilised pint jar, and store covered in refrigerator. Keeps for several months.

Kate's tip: Keep a close eye on the syrup while it is boiling; a gentle simmer is best. The mixture has a tendency to bubble up and boil over, leaving a sticky mess all over your cooktop. How do I know this? Let's just say experience is the best teacher.

I have linked this recipe to Kitchen Tip Tuesday (it's Tuesday in the US) over at www.tammysrecipes.com/.

15 comments:

Cottage Contessa said...

Looks & sounds delicious Kate. I make a boiled chocolate cake (actually made one this morning) that you might like as it starts off very similar to your sauce. I'll be giving this sauce a try for sure! Thank you!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Jen said...

Yummy! Homemade chocolate syrup on freshly churned ice cream. I have copied the recipe and put the ingredients on my shopping list. This will be so good to share with the family this weekend for my mother's birthday. Thank you so much for sharing!
~Jen

Lis said...

This looks yummy and as you might remember I always love recipes with no preservatives or additives!

Kathleen said...

Mmmmmmmmm. Chocolate syrup. Is there nothing it can't do?

Thanks for the recipe. I might whip some up at the weekend as the children always like chocolate milk or syrup on icecream.

Lisa said...

brilliant and simple; ergo, simply brilliant!

Kristen said...

Yummmmm.... I just think that sounds delish! Hmmmm.... I might be preparing something new today! I like the idea of recipe day on my blog.... I might use that. :)

Simply Stork said...

yummmy yummmmy! my kids would really go for that:o)
thanks for the recipie.
~simply~

BittersweetPunkin said...

Thank you for the recipe! I just happen to have all those ingredients in my pantry!
Blessings,
Robin

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

This sounds wonderful and I am going to whip up a batch today to have for chocolate milk. Have you ever used it over chocolate chip pancakes? Thank you, Kate, for the recipe! xo, Becky

Marita said...

Fantastic recipe! My nephew has gone onto a gluten free diet and it is so hard to find yummy foods for him. This is something I am sure to try out.

Rose said...

Hi Kate-thanks for visiting. Yes, my husband came in and said"Do I smell lavender?" then he ate his dinner and played some games with the kiddies! My girls can't wait to get the ingredients to make your chocolate syrup! Yum Yum! Blessings, Rose

Jaimie said...

That sounds right up my alley! I love chocolate syrup! I am definitely going to try this recipe!

s.j.simon said...

lol. did you know that chocolate was banned in switzerland for many years. read this

Jenny's Vegcafe said...

I'm linking to you from my blog.
Thanks for the recipe!

daharja said...

Chocolate recipes = GOOD!

Yummmmmm... :-)

Leanne over at Cluttercut