Wednesday, 21 November 2007

Rain


It is raining. It was raining when we went to bed last night and has continued most of today.

I am so happy. I bet every garden lover in Melbourne is dancing a little jig for joy.

This morning found me outside in the rain looking at my smiling plants and taking photographs.


Bedraggled. Nothing looks as sad as a wet chook, don't you think?



peaches


ivy


nasturtium



Not only have we received lots of glorious rain, but today was mercifully cool after the past week's heatwave. Perfect for some knitting, and reading, and making jars of fruit mince for Christmas.

This is my "Jewels" shawl, inspired by the pattern shown at Jewel's Eyes of Wonder blog. Jenny has an update from Jewels over at Little Jenny Wren, for those who are wondering how Jewels is faring since she closed her blog.



a basket of books



My grandmother made her own fruit mince every year and it tasted much better than the bought product. I have lost her recipe but today tried to copy it from memory. Anything soaked in brandy has to taste good, right?

10 comments:

River said...

What is that stuff in the jars?

The Tin House said...

Oh yum! You are so right about the brandy. Kate, I have an old old womans weekly recipe book and I'll type out the fruit mince recipe for you. It contains such culinary wonders as creamed tripe, and toad in the hole!

Cp,bome 1/3 cup each finely chopped raisins and brown sugar, 1/4 cup each of chopped sultanas and mixed peel, 1 T each currants and chopped almonds, 1 small grated apple, 1 t lemon juice, 1/2 t each finely grated orange rind, lemon rind and mixed spice, a pinch of nutmeg, 25g melted butter and 1T brandy. Spoon into a sterilised jar and keep in a cool dark place for up to 3 months. This recipe makes 1 1/4 cups but can easily be multiplied.

Hope this is useful for future reference.

Kate - love the photos of your plants soaking up the wet. Just wonderful. Lisa lol x

The Tin House said...

that first word is "combine"...I didn't proof read it before I posted. oops

Kristen said...

The knitting is beautiful! I am so glad that you got rain! What a nice thing when you are experiencing drought. Hopefully it didn't come down too hard too quickly! ENJOY!!!!

Cottage Contessa said...

Kate your post made me laugh, because it rained here on the weekend, and since it's such a rare occurance, I too was out taking photo's of the garden and the falling rain! lol Lovely photo's Kate, especially of your little chook. lol Cute!

Jenny said...

We had the rain here in Tassie too, well in the north anyway. Wasn't it bliss.

Our Red House said...

River, it's fruit mince, for making fruit mince pies.

Lisa, I used all the dried fruit in the house (raisins, currants, sultanas), zest and juice of two lemons, about 6 grated green apples, a good slosh of brandy (and then another slosh), some melted butter with a dollop of marmalade melted in it for some extra citrus, mixed spice, and enough brown suger to make it taste 'right'.

Kristen, Amanda and Jenny, the rain is *wonderful*.

Suzanne said...

The rain is great and you guys need it so much. I wish we could have just a little cooler weather and I wish the humidity would go away. Hot, humid weather means sweaty hands and no stitching. :(

Yum, fruit mince, I still have to make mine for the year.

River said...

It looks awfully.......wet. So different from the stuff I buy in jars. I've never made my own and I'm not about to start now, since my second hubby is an alcoholic, so I can't have ANY alcohol in the house at all.

Our Red House said...

River, it does look wet now but it won't after macerating for a few weeks. The dried fruit will absorb the liquid and swell.