Saturday, 15 December 2007

Cheesy Zucchini Slice

Woe is me! All afternoon I have been trying to log on to do a blog post but have failed (until now.) I have tried to read other folks' blogs, but they will not load up.

At first I thought it was Blogger.

Next I did a virus scan, but that was fairly clear.

Finally I discovered the culprit; my teenage son home on school holidays has made one l'il download too many and our broadband has responded by scurrying into hibernation. (We have now upgraded our limit, starting at midnight tonight, but shhh!, don't tell Master 13 that!)

I am really looking forward to visiting all your wonderful blogs tomorrow, when fast broadband is mine again. Yippee!

Anyhow, to get back to the point of this post, this is the time of year when my thoughts turn to culling the excess zucchini population in the garden. Mwahahahaha!

Tonight I made one of my favourite zuke recipes, Cheesy Zucchini Slice. It is moist and very more-ish; I keep cutting off little slivers and gobbling them down. Here is the recipe.

Cheesy Zucchini Slice

2 or 3 zucchinis, grated (about 400g)

1 onion, finely diced (I used a red one)

1 C grated cheese

1 C SR flour, sifted (or plain flour with 2 tsp baking powder)

5 eggs

salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients well in a bowl with a wooden spoon.

Pour into a well-greased lamington tin (about 7" x 10", or 18 x 28 cm, approx.)

Bake in a moderate oven for 30-40 minutes.

Note: You can also add 4 rashers diced bacon to this recipe.

Other options: The zucchini can be replaced with grated carrot. Other vegetables and herbs may also be added, such as diced red or green peppers, spring onions, or even diced, cooked potato or pumpkin.


Thank you to those who passed on kind wishes to my sick son. He is quite well today and was well enough for my husband and I to go out last night.

The Christmas party was even better than I expected. I thought it was going to be a banquet in a seafood restaurant, but instead it was a seafood banquet in a Thai restaurant. Thai food is one of my favourites, and I adore seafood, so the combination was guaranteed to be a hit with me!

9 comments:

Cottage Contessa said...

This recipe is a favourite of mine too! My sister-in-law makes it and it's delicious! I'm happy to hear that your son is on the mend and that you were able to enjoy the work dinner. We went to my husband's work dinner last night too and had a great time. It's nice to get all dressed up for an all expenses paid night out isn't it!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Stitchingranny said...

mmmmm that sounds delicious think I will have to try it sometime.

Mrs. Mordecai said...

Thanks for sharing your recipe. It looks really good! I love eggy, cheesy main dishes.

Kirstin said...

Yummy, that sounds good. I love zuchinni so I usually grate lots up and freeze it for later. I love it in stir fries, in zuchinni bread, in spaghetti sauce or just sauteed. I love it! Someone recently gave me a recipe for chocolate zuchinni bread using chocolate pudding. Yummy!

Glad your computer will be working at top speed soon. Back in june we got cable internet and I love it. I've had dial up for years..I'll never go back.

Jenny said...

Great. I have always wanted this recipe. Have eaten it many times at other people's places.
xxxx

Kris said...

This is a yummy one but best thing is it takes up a lot of zucchinis. You can't be pussy-footing around with half a fruit with zukesin your garden ; if something requires fewer that four it's not going to meet my culling requirements.

Suzanne said...

Yum, yum, this is a recipe I will definitely be trying. Thank you for sharing it with us.

The Tin House said...

Kate - consider yourself having rescued me from my own daily zuchinni challenge (..or nightmare depending on the day). Your post on your Dad was beautiful and I am hoping when Mum & Dad arrive on Sunday, I can use a bit of what you wrote to smooth the wrinkles in our relationships. lol Lisa J

The Tin House said...

Kate - we had this for dinner tonight. Lovely. I made it with the yellow zuch's and it was delish. I hope you're enjoying all the Christmas cookery. Lisa