Tuesday, 22 January 2008

Easy Homemade Yogurt in a Vacuum Flask



For several years I have tried to make homemade yogurt with limited success.


I have wrapped pots in towels to incubate my yogurt. I followed a crockpot recipe and ended up with baked, curdled, glug. I have used hot water bottles and my icebox; all with limited and inconsistent success. I have never tried the Easy-yo method because I don't want to pay for new equipment or sachets of starter; I prefer a more basic approach.


Finally, after much experimentation, I now make yogurt in a vacuum flask (thermos) with excellent results. My flask is a very unglamorous burnt orange second-hand find. For making yogurt, a flask with a wide mouth is best (it's easier to tip out).


I have given heating temperatures for if you have a food thermometer, but you can get by without one.


Here's how I do it:


Easy Vacuum Flask Yogurt


1 1/2 C water


1 1/2 C milk powder (I have only used full-cream milk powder so far)


1 heaped tablespoon plain, unsweetened yogurt with active cultures (you can save some from a previous batch or use commercial yogurt)


Combine water and milk powder in a saucepan and whisk until combined. Continue whisking until milk mixture reaches scalding point, that is, almost to boiling point. Don't allow to boil.


Allow to cool to lukewarm or blood heat (41-43C, 106-109 F). Think of the temperature to which you would heat a baby's bottle.


Whisk in the plain yogurt and pour mixture into your vacuum flask. Leave for 6-8 hours then check to see whether the yogurt is thick enough. The yogurt with become both thicker and stronger tasting the longer you leave it.


Once desired consistency is reached, transfer all but 1 spoonful of yogurt to a clean, sealed container and refrigerate. Put the other spoonful into a separate container and also refrigerate. That is your new starter.


This yogurt can be used anywhere plain yogurt is required. It can also be sweetened with honey, jam, ice cream topping, or stewed fruit.


This is my Kitchen Tip Tuesday post for this week.


17 comments:

Crazynetty said...

My mother has always (and now so do i) used the light on in the oven as the temperature for making yogurt. That has always worked - just enough heat to keep it going, not too much and no need to remember to keep turning the heat on and off. Just in case you need to make bigger quantities than your thermos holds!

River said...

Two years ago I "cheated" and bought the Easi-Yo maker. I love it.

Tracy said...

We housesat a couple of years ago and their electric oven came on at 40C. I was able to incubate my yoghurt like that.

You know what though? I've spent the entire holiday break scouring Op Shops in Eagle Point and Mallacoota and have seen those Aladdin thermos thingys. I kept thinking how useful they would be if only I knew what I would do with it. Voila, the answer is make yoghurt. I have used the thermos we have, but it has a narrow mouth and you're right. You can't get the yoghurt out easily!!!!!

Thanks for the tip ~ that will be my adventure in frugality this week ~ find another one of those flasks!

Tracy said...

We housesat a couple of years ago and their electric oven came on at 40C. I was able to incubate my yoghurt like that.

You know what though? I've spent the entire holiday break scouring Op Shops in Eagle Point and Mallacoota and have seen those Aladdin thermos thingys. I kept thinking how useful they would be if only I knew what I would do with it. Voila, the answer is make yoghurt. I have used the thermos we have, but it has a narrow mouth and you're right. You can't get the yoghurt out easily!!!!!

Thanks for the tip ~ that will be my adventure in frugality this week ~ find another one of those flasks!

Amy said...

Thanks for explaining how to do this!

Kim said...

That sounds so easy - I am going to try that as soon as I go buy some yogurt to start with.

Thanks!

Laurie Anne said...

Hey Kate,
You've been tagged :0)

Sondra said...

Make your own yogurt?! Wow, how do you find the time? I bet it tastes so much better than the stuff in the store. That is loaded with a bunch of excess junk.

Robbie said...

I have been making yoghurt for some years now with fresh cows milk and culture I buy from a company in Victoria called Cheeselinks - recommend you check out their website! It is very easy and I think much better than the Easy Yo stuff which is made from powdered milk ++++. To a couple of litres of milk I stir in 1 cup of skim powdered milk - heat - then sprinkle on the culture granules, leave for 5 mins, stir in then place in a bowl, foil on top, put it on the hot water system (with a wheat bag in the winter)overnight or min. of 5 or 6 hours. Turns out beautiful everytime - then you can make quark from the yoghurt....
Warmest regards to you and your family
Robbie

LadiesoftheHouse said...

Thank you for posting this Kate! I have a yogurt maker from my mom that I used years ago and then lost the recipe. I will try this one and see how it tastes in the yogurt maker.

My family craves yogurt, but I hate to buy it because of all the sugar in it and the price!

My favorite thing to add to the homemade yogurt is fresh peaches--YUM.

Thanks again.

Kimmie said...

Love this, now if I can locate a thermos we would be in business ;-)

Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted

Jen said...

I have several recipes that call for plain yogurt, so I will definitely give this a try. Adding a little fruit sounds divine....yummy! Have a fabulous week.
Jen

Anonymous said...

You can use a microwave oven to make yogurt quickly without fuss! I use a glass jar that fits into a wide mouth vacumn flask. (It was made by Decor but they don't seem to stock them now.) The glass jar holds 1 litre. So here goes:
Half fill the 1 litre glass jar with water.
Add a cup of skim milk powder and stir.
Add a tablespoon (20ml) of low fat plain (natural) yogurt and stir.
Fill glass jar to top with water and stir.
Place jar and contents (without lid) into a 900 watt microwave oven and "heat" on high for 1 1/2 minutes.
Remove jar and stir contents.
Place jar back in microwave for another one minute.
Remove jar and stir contents.
Place jar lid loosely on top and put jar into wide mouth vacumn flask. Then put vacumn flask lid on top.
Leave for 6 hours.
Remove jar from vacumn flask, screw down the jar lid and put in fridge. Voila!
You may need to experiment if your microwave has a different wattage or you use a different size jar. I used a thermometer the first time, keeping careful note of time but after the first attempt I now just follow the above microwave time. Easy!

Nick said...

Microwave would not be a good idea, because, the micro-waves kill the good-bacteria itself. The thermos flask way will do, but havent tried it myself. Heres the slow-pot cooker method, I do.

I use the empty plastic container, the same container I bought yogurt in the store. Add a spoon of yogurt and warm milk in the container.

Boil water seperately and pour in the pot cooker. (About 3 to 4 inches ) Now lower the yogurt jar in the pot. The jar immersed half way in the warm water. Cover lid and let stand overnight. No need to switch on the pot cooker.

Anonymous said...

This is great, thanks so much for sharing! We use yoghurt EVERY morning (and often again in the day), and not sure why I haven't thought to make my own before now! I have searched for about 3 hours in the internet trying to find a process just like yours that just uses a thermos/flask and the stove. Thank you again, I am going to do it NOW. !!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this. Been thinking of how to incubate as I don't have an electric oven.

Ann said...

Thanks for this. Been wondering how to make yogurt without a yogurt maker and this method turned out a wonderful product. Merci beau coup.