Friday, 11 January 2008

A Heat Wave, and Chocolate Zucchini Bread

We are in the midst of a heatwave, with temperatures soaring to 40-41 degrees (104-106F).

This is the type of weather that calls for minimal activity, cool cloths across one's brow, and lots of chilled drinks.

I'd love to one of those irritating types who thrives on hot weather, who glows rather than sweats. Oh, to look as perky as this charming lass!

Unfortunately, I mostly look like this in the heat; lumpy, grey with fatigue, and drowsy.
My husband adores koalas so our country jaunts are often halted as we all get out of the car to look up for koalas in the eucalyptus trees where they live. They don't do anything, just sit or doze there, occasionally moving an arm to grab a leaf to munch on. My children think they are the most boring animals on the planet and I secretly agree.

Anyhow, I know you must be getting bored with my current obsession with zucchini recipes.

I do, however, have one more I'd like to share, courtesy of Kris of Ladies of the House, who kindly sent it to me earlier in the week. Kris lives in Alaska, so is definitely not suffering from a heatwave.

Chocolate Zucchini Bread


Kris writes:


"I hope you enjoy this as much as we do. Let me tell you a secret---- don't tell anyone that it is made with zucchini or they won't eat it. Just serve it up and watch them gobble it down. I have even had people tell me it tastes like Brownie Bread!"


Ingredients


3 eggs

1 Cup vegetable oil

2 Cups sugar

1 Tab. vanilla

2 Cups shredded, peeled zucchini

2 1/2 Cups all purpose flour

1/2 C. baking cocoa

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon baking powder


Method


In a mixing bowl beat eggs, oil, sugar and vanilla. Stir in zucchini gently. Combine dry ingredients and add to zucchini mixture--mix well. Pour into 2 greased 8 x 4 x 2 inch loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until pick inserted comes out almost clean of crumbs. Don't over-bake or it will be dry.


Kate's note: I made this in a single square cake tin and the cooking time of 1 hour was perfect (in my fan-forced oven). In 2 smaller tins you might need to reduce the cooking time as this bread needs to be moist.

The bathing beauty and koala come from
www.allposters.com


13 comments:

Marita said...

It is just way way too hot. I'm so very glad I live in an enlightened era with electric fans and no need to wear many layers of clothing.

Mrs. Darling said...

We are enjoying temps in the 40's today after freezing in hte low thirtys forever! I hate hot weather. I absolutley melt in it. Heres hoping you find a cool place to refrest yourself.

Scrappy Jessi said...

haha that is a heat wave.
that bread looks awesome. i will have to make some
jessi

craftydabbler said...

You all may well know this, but I learned from a cookbook that the volume of an Australian tablespoon is 20mL, whereas an American tablespoon is 15mL. Both places use a 5mL teaspoon, so it is easy to add or subtract a teaspoon when needed.

Suzanne said...

I do feel very sorry for you with that heat wave. I heard that it reached 43C today! Arhg, I hate that kind of weather.

I love all the zucchini recipes you have been sharing. These are one of my favorite vegetables.

Sharon said...

Wow......enjoy the sunshine and heat, we have rain, rain, rain, a little cold and wind and, you guessed it, rain! Did you take the picture of the Koala bear? You are so lucky to be able to see them all the time even if they are boring, they are so cute!

Hugs, Sharon

Patty said...

I am no fan of the heat either, when its summer here, I just stay inside a lot by the air conditioner. I love chocolate Zuc bread, but learned long ago not to share the ingredient list : ) Thanks for sharing your recipe

Kristen said...

Hmm, I have never had Chocolate...Zuchinni bread! Sounds very interesting, I will have to try it! I love zuchinni bread! Yummmm!!! We had a 62 degree heatwave here! :) Hahahah!

Kirstin said...

Wow! that is hot! I was sitting here thinking how odd it would seem to drive and see koalas sitting in the trees...how foreign that is to us here in the states. My grandmother lives in floridaa and we always joke about the heat differences.
The zuchinni cake sounds yummy. I have one that calls for chocolate pudding...oh, yummy! I may post it sometime.

Jen said...

Yummy! This is the second post I have read today with a recipe that is just calling out my name!

I am sorry you guys are having a heat wave. The weather has been so fickled here that it almost seems unbelieveable. Who ever heard of a tornado warning in the dead of winter?! Keep cool and be careful.
~Jen

The Tin House said...

Kate, keep the zuch recipes coming! I love cakes and breads made with this secret ingredient. They are so moist and hide a vegie serve for even my fussiest eater. I love koalas. As fluffy and lazy as they are, they can be very fierce when meddled with! And I too dream of looking as jolly, gay & playful as your girl in the buttercup swimsuit. How much boning has she got happening in there!

BittersweetPunkin said...

Thanks for the recipe Kate! I've actually had Chocolate Zucchini bread before and you really CANNOT taste the zucchini in it...its so yummy!!
Blessings,
Robin

Jenny said...

Yum. That bread looks good. I will have to try it.
Koalas are SO cute! I'm with your husband on that one.