Saturday, 29 March 2008

Earth Hour, and an Award




I have limited time to post today because it is currently 7.26 pm and at 8 pm all our lights are going off for an hour.


Why, you may well ask?


The reason we are turning our lights off is because we are participating in the second annual Earth Hour. This is what Wikipedia says about it:


"Earth Hour is an international event that asks households and businesses to turn off their lights and non-essential electrical appliances for one hour on the evening of 29 March at 8 pm local time until 9 pm to promote electricity conservation and thus lower carbon emissions. It is promoted by World Wide Fund for Nature Australia (WWF), an environmental lobby group, and the Sydney Morning Herald. The first Earth Hour was held in Sydney, Australia between 7:30 pm and 8:30 pm on 31 March 2007. The 2007 Earth Hour is estimated to have cut Sydney's mains electricity consumption by between 2.1% and 10.2% for that hour, with as many as 2.2 million people taking part. A second Earth Hour, in 2008, is planned to be an international event held in Sydney, many partner cities, and individuals around the world participating."

Why not join in, wherever in the world you are. Perhaps light some candles and enjoy a candlelit dinner, take a long, candlelit bath, or go to bed early with that special someone. There are lots of creative ways to spend an hour of darkness!



One of the best things about blogging is all the lovely people I have 'met'. Today I would like to thank two of those special people, Maggie and Lisa from The Tin House, for honouring me with a "You Cheer Me Up" award.


Here are the instructions for this award:


"If you are a recipient of the "You Cheer Me Up" Award, please find the blogs that cheer you up, copy the code to post on your sidebar and pass Ethel and Lucy across the blogosphere. You can use what cheers you up in your post, or copy this one, but please send your award recipients back to the original post on A Nice Place In The Sun to get a copy of the award code, post the image and read the instructions. I want to try to maintain a page of original and ongoing award recipients, so feel free to let me know if you've received an award when you pick up the image code."



I have decided to pass this award onto some relatively new blog friends, some of who are also fairly new bloggers. The people I am passing this award onto are (dum-de-dah):


Joyce, The Secret Gardener


Tracy at Sunny Corner Farm


Tracy at Beyond My Picket Fence


Missy at Chloe's Corner and More


Emma at It's a Mum's Life


Diane at Majestic Mountains, Rolling Hills, Gentle Streams


Do go and visit these lovely ladies. I am sure you will be as cheered by them as I am.



16 comments:

Joyce said...

Thanks so much for the kind award Kate....I just did a posting about it and have "passed the torch" so to speak. HA!
I appreciate your thinking of me. Glad to hear it's raining....it's a tad rainy here today too.
Talk to you later!
Be blessed,
Joyce

Tracy said...

Thank you so very very much Kate. It's very humbling to know that my often boring (to me) life is cheering someone else up ~ you've put a smile on my face many a day, so the feeling is absolutely mutual!

DianneE said...

I appreciate the honor that you have given to me, Kate by giving me this award. I don't necessarily feel like I am a very good encourager but you have been to me as have many other ladies who blog. You have made my day and have been a real encourager to me. Thank you!

Ann said...

Congratulations Kate! You did a wonderful job spreading the cheer~

And congratulations to all of these great blogs~

Thanks to all of you for spreading laughter around the blogosphere.

I have a live video of the image of Lucy and Ethel on the front page of A Nice Place In The Sun for anyone unfamiliar with the show.

I left also you a message in my You Cheer Me Up comments with some more information about Lucy and Ethel.

Plus, I wanted to read your post, and make sure you knew I replied to your comment and put you on the list. Thanks again, for everything~

Ann

A Nice Place In The Sun

Ann said...

Whew! (Don't worry I'm not usually that long winded.) :)

P.S. I love your blog~ (LOL)

Ann

blessedmomof3 said...

Hi Kate! Nice to see someone else who participated in Earth Hour. We did as well. It's something I think should be done more often, even if it's just done as a personal choice. Hope you've had a great weekend!

Blessings,
Andrea

Emma said...

Woohoo thanks Kate! My first ever award, and on my birthday too :D I wasn't having a very good morning so you made my day :)

Emma
(who had her lights switched off last night too)

River said...

I didn't bother with the earth hour switch off. I thought about it but we only ever have one light burning anyway, over my dining table where the computer is, and I recently put in an energy saving globe, so I thought that was fair enough. I've never been one to have the whole place lit up just in case I want to go to another room so I save energy all the time anyway. The proof is in my power bill.

Our Red House said...

Joyce, Tracy, Emma, and Diane, giving you the award was an absolute pleasure.

Ann, thank you for taking the time to visit and leave a comment.

Andrea, I agree,we should be aware of lights etc all the time, and not just one night of the year.

River, your power bill is probably much lower than mine. I spend my whole life trying to get people to turn off lights:-(

Kate

Em said...

Kate, thanks so much for the comments on my blog. I might plant some of those beans this year - the kids might like purple beans! I didn't get your email address, so I thought I would just post here. I didn't know about Earth Hour until about 9pm last night! Ha! Anyway, good job - I wish I had been able to participate.

willowcaroline said...

We did the hour here... but wouldn't it be wonderful if the planet did this once a month? We try to keep the lights off as much as possible... but we could still do better.

JACKet said...

Hi Kate, I have left a comment on your Good Friday post. Thanks Jacky

Sondra said...

Congrats on your award! I totally forgot about the earth hour. Dumb of me considering every time I went to google they had their lights out! Duh.

Jaimie said...

Great post Kate! The news reported alot of lights out and I think it's great!

Loved the picture! :)

Sandra said...

We did the light outs as well and we looked out our window and the whole of our neighborhood was in darkness. I agree it would be good to do it a little more often than once a year.

Missy said...

my first ever award! thank you :) also, congrats on your award. i do love your blog and it does cheer me up :) i love i get to peek into your home and life. i love that i get to learn little facts about your country. a place i've always wanted to visit.

OK, now, i'm not sure i know how to copy and paste the award to my blog......it may take me awhile :)

blessings,
missy