Tuesday, 22 April 2008

Decorating with Camellias


On the northern side of our house is a sheltered little courtyard edged with camellias. They are overshadowed by the house next door and the roof over the courtyard. They are never watered and rarely fertilised, yet this year, after a long, hot summer, their display is finer than ever.

The camellias are underplanted with hydrangeas which flower over summer, so the courtyard has blossoms for much of the year. I feel indebted to whichever previous owner of this garden had the forethought to plant in this way.






Today I decided to bring some of the camellias indoors.

Camellias are not great flowers for vases because they tend to have short stems and heavy flowers which can droop. They do look lovely grouped in a series of small vases, each holding one or three flowers; flower arrangements look best with odd numbers of blooms.


My favourite way to present camellias, however, is not in vases but floating gracefully in a bowl of water as a table centrepiece.

A single, perfect bloom looks lovely in small bowl and makes an elegant finger bowl for a dinner party. A single, floating flower is also a pretty touch on a bathroom counter.



You could also try a larger bowl with a mixture of different varieties, or one single colour, depending on the effect you want to achieve.



Pretty, huh?

Kate xxx

21 comments:

Poppy Black said...

I love camellias. The are so pretty, and often perfect. Plus they have lovely shiny green foliage all year round. They look beautiful floating in the bowl. Gorgeous! XXX

Rosie's Whimsy said...

You bet they are pretty! I can't wait til I have enough flowers blooming to cut some for the house. :-) Rosie

Aisling said...

Your camellias look so sweet! How pretty to have something delicate and pink in the autumn.

Terri & Crew said...

Kate, they are gorgeous. I love how you present them in the bowls of water. Very beautiful!

Terri

Niki RuralWritings said...

Gorgeous! lovely photos, Kate.
Have a good day!

Tara said...

Hi Kate

Have never been here before, visiting via Karen's Scrapbook of In spiration! What a lovely place to be--I'll come back!

:0)
Tara

Aimee Kieffer, aka "Momzoo" said...

How pretty! I don't think I have ever seen camellias, they don't grow around here!

Shimmy Mom said...

Beautiful. I like floating flowers better than in a vase most of the time. There is something enchanting about them. I can't wait for the weather to get warmer here so that I can have flowers all over the place. (It's early spring here in the US)

Laurie Anne said...

Our camellias are just starting to bloom here. I love them, especially the pale pink ones.
:0)

Missy said...

how beautiful! never thought of putting short stemmed flowers in a bowl of water. looks so pretty. i miss the flowers from the mid~west. i had a small Angel garden in the front of my house.

have a great day!

blessings,
missy

Mrs. Mordecai said...

Very, very pretty. I love floating flowers. They're so graceful.

insane scribbler said...

Hi,
Saikat from BlogsJam here.
Wanted to email you, but could not locate your email address on the
blog. we have 2 cool widgets ( a slideshow widget and a content widget
) which can help enhance site interaction and reader's experience. pl contact me at saibose@gmail.com so that i can send you the slideshow widget for your blog.

thx-Saikat

Dianne said...

Your Camellias are so beautiful and the way you arranged them in the pictures so wants me to go out and buy a bush. Do they grow on bushes? I have a friend who has them and that is how she displays them also. She has such a knack for flower arrangements and I am all thumbs! We can't all be as talented as she is but you sure do seem to have the knack!! :)

Donna said...

The camellias are beautiful and I love how you arranged them in the different bowls.
Very nice!
Hugs,
Donna

Kirstin said...

Very pretty Kate!

Sondra said...

Those are so beautiful. What a nice idea to float them in a bowl.

Kimmie said...

Wow Kate, think I can smell them from New England!

hugs to you and yours!

Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted

LadiesoftheHouse said...

Yes Kate, VERY pretty! I love Camelias. Your presentation makes them even prettier. They would also look so lovely in one of my pretty lady head vases!

Joyce said...

I went to a Ladies meeting once where they taught us to "dip" the Camellia's in "wax"....they were so pretty. Our Camellia's are over for now...
Nice photos......I can't believe it's Autumn there. Crazy how this all works. HA!
We had a speaker at church Sunday from Sydney. He had a great message. Very encouraging.

Joyce said...

Hey Kate,
I left you the answer to your comment on my site...then thought I should bring it over to you instead so it's in both places. HA~!
The speakers name name is
"Joel A'bell" and I just looked up his website for you as well....it's:
"http://joelabell.com/" if you want to check it out. Maybe you will recognize him. Let me know if you do......like I always say..SMALLL world....BIG GOD!
HA!
I probably....could even find you a podcast or some sort of link for the message...but I need to check that out first. HA! Just let me know....
JM

Becoming Me said...

How beautiful