Monday, 14 April 2008

The Colour of Autumn is ... RED

red against grey


As autumn advances and the days grow colder and greyer, nature surprises us with some of the most vivid colours to be seen all year.

While spring is a pastel season, autumn goes out with fire. Here are some of the reds that I have observed over the past week or two.


red geraniums



red becoming brown in the trees




pineapple sage flowering at last




a chilli in the garden




and, of course, rhubarb and apples



It is cold and drizzly outside, but inside our red house we are warm and snug.



I can smell the cinnamon from the apple and rhubarb crumble in the oven. Crumbles are such lovely, simple, warming desserts for the cooler seasons. You can use any type of poached fruit, although with apple and rhubarb I don't pre-cook.

These quantities are all approximate as this really is the type of dessert that you can just toss together.




Apple and Rhubarb Crumble

4-6 apples, peeled and sliced thinly

1-2 cups diced rhubarb

1/2 cup brown sugar (approx.)


topping


60 g (2 oz) soft butter

1 cup rolled oats

1 cup coconut

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup flour

1 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to about350 F/180 C.
Combine fruit and 1/2 cup brown sugar in an ovenproof dish. Mix brown sugar through the fruit so that the fruit is coated liberally. Use more sugar if you are using alot of rhubarb as it is quite sour.




Combine dry topping ingredients and rub in butter. Sprinkle over the top of the fruit.




Put your dish on an oven tray and bake for about 50-60 minutes, or until fruit is well cooked and bubbling. If the topping is over-browning, cover your dish with foil.


Enjoy hot with thick cream, custard or ice cream.



Kate xxx



31 comments:

Dianne said...

Kate, your view of Autuum makes me want to enjoy it again even though Spring is just arrived here. What stunning colors and your dessert looks devine. I'm copying the recipe so I can try it. Yummy!! Great post!!!

Rosie's Whimsy said...

I love all your reds! And that crumble sounds wonderful! :-) Rosie

Kez said...

Gorgeous photos - and yum on the crumble!!!

Tracy said...

Mmmmm...yummy. I love apple & rhubarb anything!

Mary Beth said...

Hi Kate. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. Yes, the grass is green momentarily, but my husband just started watering it this weekend--it's getting hot here, fast. Your red photos are lovely.
MB

River said...

I love pineapple sage. I often add a lightly crushed leaf orwp to a pot of chamomile tea while it's brewing. In the summer I like to brew a mix of pineapple sage and lemon balm, sweetened with honey and drank cold.
For my crumbles I always precook the fruit, then I can just bake until the topping is golden without worrying about over browning.
Autumn colours and foods are the best.

Mandi said...

lovely photos as usual and those foods look divine...autumn is a great time tho I have to admit to loving spring the most....

mrsjones6 said...

After your hot and dry summer, I know autumn is such a welcome relief to you. The vivid color you have shared is just lovely.
I have never tried rhubarb, so I am looking forward to this ymmy recipe.
Have a fabulous week,
Jen

Niki RuralWritings said...

beautiful photo's Kate!

Daughter of the King said...

oh these pictures are beautiful...love the *reds*...the rhubarb dish looks yummmy....
I love rhubarb...
first time here, I think
Deby

Shimmy Mom said...

I love crumbles. That one looks delicious. Your "reds" are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.

ohiofarmgirl said...

Your pictures are just delightful. It has just barely begin to look like spring, we even had snow showers yesterday. I do love autumn though and wish you a toasty season! Dianntha

Jaimie said...

Beautiful red pictures! And the crumble looks delicious!

The Liberty Belle said...

Mmm....crumble! Looks good!

Terri & Crew said...

The crumble looks delicious. I love your blog! It's a nice place to visit :-).

Terri

Marye said...

We haven't quite got to rhubarb here yet but it looks fantastic! I love the pictures.

The Tin House said...

Kate, how fantastic that just a few weeks ago you were in the midst of that awful heat wave...and now you're shoring up for Winter! The photos are lovely. Lisa x

Kimmie said...

Yum! Oh, and Kate the pictures are lovely!


Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted

The Mumma said...

kate do you live in vic or south oz??

Our Red House said...

I live in Melbourne.

Kate

50shousewife said...

It's so fun to see your Autumn pictures as our weather is warming up and the flowers are starting to bloom. :) The apple crumble sounds wonderful whatever the time of year.

Aimee Kieffer, aka "Momzoo" said...

So pretty!

Poppy Black said...

Beautiful! I just found you and I am excited. I love your red photos, great recipe plus all of the pictures of vintage recipe books. XXX

Missy said...

beautiful pictures! thank you for sharing :) enjoy the cooler weather.

blessings,
missy

Donna said...

All of your reds look wonderful and so warm.
The dessert looks YUM!
Hugs,
Donna

Steph Garvey said...

Yum. Thanks. I just was given some rhubarb and was trying to decide what to do with it!

Kirstin said...

Yummy Kate....well, all except for the coconut! That is something that will definately deter me from desserts. i love fresh coconuts but not the shredded kind...I know...weird!

but otherwise it looks yummy!

I didn't get around to posting on Kithen Tips today. Maybe I still will, who knows.

Our Red House said...

Kirstin, you could omit the coconut and use finely chopped or ground nuts instead. You could try hazelnuts, almonds, walnuts or pecans.

Kate

Rosehaven Cottage said...

Ooooo, RED! I love red! Especially the shades you've featured.

Cindy at Rosehaven Cottage

Stephanie said...

Love the red too, but I am pretty content with my spring greens right now!

Jenny said...

I think apple and rhubarb crumble is my favourite dessert.