The makeover comprised:
- removing a rusty old radiator and ugly fluorescent light
- installing an IXL-tastic; one of those combined light, heater fan thingies
- replacing an existing, broken exhaust fan with a new one (just so as not to have a huge hole to re-plaster). While two exhaust fans sounds excessive, this bathroom needs them, believe me!
- scraping flaking paint and mould-treating the walls and ceilings (nearly gassing myself in the process)
- filling in and sanding holes etc
- painting ceiling, walls and woodwork
Although you can't see it in the photo above, my window treatment is held together with pins and hot glue. I tried nailing it to the window, but when that didn't work -- I was standing on the toilet and hammering at a very strange angle -- I stuck it to the window using hot glue.
I wanted to inject more colour into the room, believe me, but found the peachy-coloured tiles difficult to manage. Any peachy or apricot-y shades of paint made them look either ghastly orange or too pink. And unfortunately, replacing the tiles (which are also in the shower, whilst slightly pinker tiles are on the floor) was out of the question.
The colour I eventually used was Dulux Antique White USA -- neutral but nice.
I haven't put up any pictures yet, nor have I bought any new accessories as this really is a genuine budget makeover. The largest cost was getting in an electrician, but we did everything else ourselves.
My new ceiling unit. Lovely!