Tuesday, 10 June 2008

Lemon Syrup Cake: A Step by Step Recipe

Over the winter months, when there are lemons on our backyard tree, I often make this delicious, sticky cake.


It is quick and easy to whip up in a food processor, but if you don't own one, chop the lemon zest finely, cream butter, sugar and zest, then mix in eggs and fold in the dry ingredients.


I like to make this cake in a Bundt tin, but any shape tin is fine.




Lemon Syrup Cake


zest (finely grated rind) of one large lemon
200g (6 1/2 oz) sugar
250g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
250 g (8 oz) butter, softened
4 eggs


Syrup


150 g (5 oz) sugar
juice of one large lemon



Method
Preheat oven to 350 F/180 C. Grease a cake tin well.
Blend lemon zest and sugar in a food processor, then add remaining cake ingredients and mix well.
Pour into tin and bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer pushed into the cake comes out clean.



To make the syrup, mix the lemon juice with the extra sugar in a small saucepan and heat until sugar has dissolved. Turn out the cake and slowly pour the syrup over until it soaks in.


This cake is delicious served warm with whipped cream, or just on its own. Sometimes I serve the cake as a dessert with its centre filled with freshly whipped cream. Mmmm...





Lemon Syrup Cake


Ensuite update



I have finished painting the ensuite bathroom apart from a couple of spots where we are having trouble getting putty to dry due to the cold weather. Another thing we need to do is repair the broken soap dish in the shower. It is one of the ones that is part of the tile and it looks really ugly.



Tomorrow I am hoping to make a trip to Spotlight to choose some fabric for the window treatment I am planning to make.



Hopefully everything will be done by next weekend and I'll be able to post pictures. These things always seem to take longer than expected!

9 comments:

libby said...

What great timing! We just picked quite a few lemons off our tree yesterday and were wondering what to do with them.

Thanks
Libby

River said...

I've just decided that my next tree purchase will be a lemon. You're posting all these wonderful lemon recipes and I have to BUY lemons...

Kimmie said...

The cake looks yummy! Thanks for the recipe.

Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted

Mrs. Mordecai said...

This looks amazing! Thanks for sharing.

LadiesoftheHouse said...

Oh Kate you have done it again--I HAVE to make this cake! I am a lemon fanatic and they are SO expensive here.

I just bought the cutest embroidered quilt squares from a seller in Australia for what I thought was a very reasonable price. Her work is beautiful! They are Victorian ladies stitched in purple. I can't wait for them to get here!

Kirstin said...

THat cake looks yummy and I bet it's refreshing!! Can't wait to see your pictures.

Tammy L said...

So beautiful!! :)

Shimmy Mom said...

That sounds delicious. We love lemon around here. In fact I made my hubby go get a lemon pie the other day just because I was craving one! I'm still so jealous that you have lemons in your yard!

Grandmother Wren said...

What a nice recipe. Lemon cake makes me think of old fashioned tea parties - wouldn't that be fun?
Thanks for the recipe and for hosting the carnival this week. I'm enjoying it very much.