Saturday, 6 September 2008

Rich, Creamy, Chocolate Ice Cream without an Ice Cream Maker (or Cream)



Although spring is barely upon us the lengthening days and sunshine are making me ache for summer.

Not the real summer of days and days over 40 degrees and sleepless, sweaty nights. No, I imagine long, languorous evenings by the pool (I don't even have a pool), watching the children swim and eating chocolate ice cream.

Anyhoo, I made this vintage recipe earlier in the week and I am in love. First it was frozen butter pecan mousse and now this. Yummmm! I did change the original by using more chocolate than the recipe asked for, but that can only be a good thing, can't it?

Technically this is not ice cream as it doesn't include cream, but it has the advantage of not needing re-beating to avoid ice crystal formation. I have only just discovered how evaporated milk beats up like cream when it's cold. Amazing!

Here's the recipe.

Rich Chocolate Ice Cream

125 g (4 oz) good quality dark chocolate (not compounded)
375 g (1 1/2 C) evaporated milk
1/4 C water
1/2 C sugar
2 egg yolks, beaten
1 tsp vanilla

Melt chocolate.

Using a double boiler (I rested a glass bowl over a saucepan of simmering water), scald 1/4 C evap. milk, water and sugar. Pour in egg yolks and whisk mixture constantly for five minutes.

Gradually whisk in melted chocolate and vanilla, beating until thoroughly blended.

Chill chocolate custard mixture in the fridge. Also, chill the remaining evaporated milk.

When very cold, beat the leftover evaporated milk until very stiff. An electric mixer is best for this and it may take up to 10 minutes. Fold in chilled chocolate mixture and freeze until firm.

For more kitchen tips, visit Kitchen Tip Tuesday at Tammy's Recipes


15 comments:

The Tin House said...

Kate - can't wait to try this recipe as I am just about to toss my tea towel out the door when it comes to making ice cream without the ice cream maker. Lisa x

Tracy said...

My Mum used to make ice cream when we lived overseas, by whipping up cold evaporated milk and then she'd add jelly to it. Don't know if it was just the crystals or if it was made up or anything but gee that was great ice cream!

mrsjones6 said...

Oh Kate, this sounds wonderful! Oh course anything with chocolate is bound to be scrumptious. :) I can definitely imagine it has you in the mood for your spring.
Enjoy your weekend,
Jen

black eyed susans kitchen said...

That looks sooo good!! Susan

katef - www.picklebums.com said...

what an ace recipe... I'd dearly love and ice cream maker but trying to hold off until I have a new kitchen to put it in... this will definitely help. Do you think I could make other flavours? None of us really like chocolate much - I know... sacrilege!

River said...

tracy:- I remember the milk/jelly thing from way back. The jelly is made up using less water than instructed, when cooled and just barely set, whip it into the whipped milk.

Our Red House said...

Thank you all for your comments. I had never heard of the jelly and evaporated milk ice cream idea. I'll have to see if I can find a recipe.

Kate F, you can make others ice creams using condensed milk. I am sure you could omit the chocolate from this one to make vanilla, though you might need to add a little extra vanilla essence.

I have a recipe for a strawberry version which I plan to make when strawberries come down in price.

Here is a link to a butter pecan ice cream (frozen mousse) I made last week:

http://ourredhouse.blogspot.com/2008/08/frozen-butter-pecan-mousse.html

Kate

Angie said...

That looks really good. I've made lemon and lime frozen desserts using whipped evaporated milk, but never chocolate... yum. I'm gonna try it!

www.theamericanhomemaker.blogspot.com

Emily @ Little Home said...

Since I don't have an ice cream maker, I've never tried making any. I want to try this, though! It looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

Stephanie said...

That is twice this week I've seen something about using evaporated milk for cream. We are trying this!

Elizabeth said...

OK, I want to try this recipe (I'd love to buy an ice cream maker but I never have room in the freezer for the cannister). But can you define "dark chocolate" -- is it unsweetened chocolate, like in the U.S., or semisweet, or X% chocolate (e.g., 70%)? If it's semisweet I could try this tomorrow!

Our Red House said...

Hi Elizabeth,

I don't really know the answer to your question. In Oz we have white, milk and dark chocolate, though dark chocolate comes in different strengths. It is usually sweetened (I used sweetened not bitter chocolate), and is sometimes labelled like yours, eg 70% cocoa. I just used ordinary, supermarket-variety dark chocolate, which I think would be your semi-sweet.

Why not try the recipe with the chocolate you have and see how it goes? -- and then let me know, of course:-)

Kate

Julie Stiles Mills said...

oooo.

You should post this on the Mr. Linky for "Would You Like Chocolate With That?" It appears every Friday on "Stop and Smell the Chocolate"

If you can't find it, I have a post (chocolate cake conniption) on my site this week.

This looks WONDERFUL!

Lisa @ Stop and Smell the Chocolates said...

Thank you for linking up! This sounds fantastic! I love that you don't need an ice cream maker for it and the ingredients are so simple. I will have to try it out very soon. Yum!

jeanne @ Inspiring Ideas said...

Wow, never heard of that! I'd love to try it - looks Yummy!!