Monday, 4 March 2013

A Glut of Pumpkins

My garden is overflowing with pumpkins.

None were planted by me.  They all rose out of the worm castings I used to fertilise my tomatoes last November.

They're mostly Queensland Blues, I think, although at least one Kent has made an appearance.

Faced with a glut that we will be eating for months, I am looking for recipes that use pumpkin.  And I am sure I will feature quite a few pumpkin recipes over the next little while.

If you have any suggestions for pumpkin recipes, either sweet or savoury, I 'd be very grateful if you would share them with me.




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband was skeptical when he saw me making this, but he fell in love with it.

Curried Pumpkin Soup
1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 to 1 teaspoon curry powder
3 cups vegetable broth
15 ounces pumpkin (I used a 15 oz. can of solid-pack pumpkin, but you can puree this amount of cooked pumpkin)
1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Sour cream and chives, optional

In a large saucepan, saute the mushrooms and onions in butter until tender. Stir in flour and curry powder until blended. Gradually add the broth. Bring to a boil; cook & stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the pumpkin, milk, honey, salt, pepper and nutmeg; heat through. Garnish individual servings with sour cream and chives if desired. Yield: 7 servings

This recipe came from Taste of Home 2001 Annual Recipes.

Hope you like it.

Briana from Texas

Our Red House said...

That looks delicious and I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks Briana.

Paola said...

Hi, I've just published a recipe for delicious pumpkin gnocchi on my blog. Check out www.spadesandspoons.blogspot.com. Hope you like it!

Our Red House said...

Thanks Paola. I might try that recipe although I haven't had much success making gnocchi in the past.

Vickie said...

Oh what a glourious pumpkins you have there..($3.99 KG up here) When we loved in QLD you caould always buy cheap pumpkin on the roadside and I was always make a pumkin chutney-I have saince lost the recipe but I'm sure there would be one online,cheers Vickie