Saturday, 25 January 2014

A Lacklustre Summer for Vegetables

Despite some successes, this has been a frustrating summer for vegetable growing at our red house.

While the self-seeded crops - celery, cherry tomatoes and pumpkins - are thriving, the rest have been lacklustre, to say the least.

My climbing beans grew abundantly, but have yet to produce a single bean.  Likewise, the cucumbers and capsicums have been slow.

I'm not really sure why this has been such an average year.

The soil is better than ever before, thanks to now three years application of worm castings, compost and blood and bone meal.  Although rainfall has been low, we have diligently provided adequate water.

What have been your recent successes and failures in the garden?







2 comments:

Paola said...

I can understand your puzzlement. I've been growing vegies for 10 years, and scratch my head about why some things go gangbusters one year and are writeoffs the next and vice versa, when everything I've been doing is exactly the same.
I also find that the self-seeded stuff goes better than a lot of the vegies I've put there myself.

Our Red House said...

Hi Paola,
Gardening can be such a mystery, can't it?
K